With nearly 19 000 people to date viewing our cost of living posts we thought it was time to provide an updated detailed monthly budget summary.
Our targeted monthly budget is $1400 USD. Total US dollars spent in January 2014 was $1656.
Over the course of the month we attended 2 professional baseball games in Rivas. We ate at Munchie Bluues twice and we spent 3 days and 2 nights on Ometepe Island, so it’s not surprising we were over budget by more than $200.
Below is a summary by category that shows where our cash went. For a larger view just click on the image.
For even more detail click on the link to view our daily spending.
Some things to keep in mind with our spending this month:
- We don’t have medical coverage. Aside from high end private clinics in Managua health care is free and readily accessible.
- Car insurance cost us only $55 per year. A very low price to pay, but with the minimal coverage have we are getting exactly what we pay for.
- Our fuel cost was low this month because we filled our tank last month and rarely drove this month. In San Juan del Sur walking is the most common and practical means of travel.
- Cell service is very inexpensive. We average about $15 per month for two phones.
- We had many friends in town this month so we ate out, drank out and stayed out more often than usual.
- Houses in our price range (and even lower) are commonplace. Long term affordable rentals are in high demand are rarely advertised or vacant for long.
Other posts you may find interesting include: